Undergraduate Research Opportunities
My group is currently recruiting for two Undergraduate Research Assistants to join us for the 2019-2020 academic year with an option to continue through Summer 2020. Students will be supported through funds from the NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program to work on my team’s ongoing research initiatives.
Students selected to join us will embed within the VACLab research group as full contributing members. They will participate in all research activities from idea generation to programming to evaluation to dissemination.
Students will be expected to work approximately 10 hours per week throughout the fall and spring semesters, and will receive a stipend each semester. Successful students will be invited to continue their research over the summer with an additional (larger) summer stipend.
To apply, send email to David Gotz with a copy of your resume/CV. Candidates will be considered until the two positions are filled.
Note that these opportunities described in this post are restricted to undergraduates only.
While it is not expected that students have skills in all of these topics, the ideal candidate will be able to demonstrate knowledge in multiple of the following areas:
- Familiarity with math and basic statistics
- Knowledge of web technologies (HTML, CSS)
- Basic knowledge of source control (e.g., github) and debugging techniques
- Experience with data visualization (especially programmatic approaches such D3.js) is desired
- Knowledge of machine learning and statistical programming
- Ability to work effectively on open-ended problems with interdisciplinary teams